Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Residential Finance Cost

Hello, I think I did not provide complete information in my previous post. Here is the full picture: Rental income = £1,000 Finance cost = £3,000 Total taxable income = £1,000 Total taxable income deducting personal allowance = £0 Should I : Enter "0" in Residential Property Finance Costs Enter "3,000" in Unused Residential Property Finance Costs Brought Forward Pls comment. Thanks.
  • Residential Finance Cost

Hello, There is mortgage interest in my letting residential property. Due to the rental income in the tax year is just £1,000(net), may I choose NOT to claim the property finance cost and carry forward full amount to next year? For example: Finance cost = £3,000 Enter "0" in Residential Property Finance Costs Enter "3,000" in Unused Residential Property Finance Costs brought forward Pls comment. Thanks.
  • RE: Mortgage interests of a non-residential property

Dear HMRC Admin, Thanks for your reply. I refer to "non-residential property" in my case. As far as I know, mortgage interest can be claimed as an expense against non-residential rental income. My question is if previous year mortgage interest can be claimed as an expense in current tax year. Pls comment. Thanks.
  • RE: Car park space

Dear HMRC Admin, Thanks for your reply. In my case, the car park space is actually located in a car park complex with two floors below ground floor. The car park space is not attached to the residential apartment directly. The access to the car park space requires to take a lift downstairs and pass through the public area of a residential building (a few hundreds of apartments in the building). Based on above criteria, can I assume the car park space is a non-residential property? Pls comment. Thanks.
  • Capital Loss

Hello, I disposed some listed shares between September and November 2023. Each listed shares made a loss unfortunately. On the other hand, I have never make any gain in other capital asset disposal up to this moment. Could I report the capital losses until I submit my tax return for tax year 6th April 2023 - 5th April 2024? Pls comment. Thanks.
  • Mortgage interests of a non-residential property

Hello, I did not claim the mortgage interests as expense of a non-residential property last tax year. Can these mortgage interests be carried forward to this year as an property expense? Thanks.
  • Car park space

Hello, I have a car park space purchased in residential development under an independent deed (separated from the residential apartment). Is the car park space defined as residential property or non-residential property under this situation? Pls comment. Thanks.
  • RE: Foreign Tax Credit Relief

Dear HMRC Admin, Thanks for your comments. The source of income in Australia is rental. Could you pls review my calculation of FTCR and confirm if it is correct? Tax year: 1/7/2021 - 30/6/2022, Tax amount: £800 Tax year: 1/7/2022 - 30/6/2023, Tax amount: £1,000 Due to the tax year different between Australia and UK, I calculate the amount of FTCR for tax year 6/4/2022 - 5/4/2023 as below: (£800 x 86/365 days) + (£1,000 x 279/365 days) = £188 + £764 = £952 Thanks again.
  • Foreign Tax Credit Relief

Hi HMRC, I am going to claim the foreign tax credit relief for my tax liability in Australia. Tax year: 1/7/2021 - 30/6/2022, Tax amount: £800 Tax year: 1/7/2022 - 30/6/2023, Tax amount: £1,000 Due to the tax year different between Australia and UK, I calculate the amount of FTCR for tax year 6/4/2022 - 5/4/2023 as below: (£800 x 86/365 days) + (£1,000 x 279/365 days) = £188 + £764 = £952 Is the logic of my calculation correct? Pls confirm if £952 is the correct amount I can claim for FTCR. Thanks.
  • Investment Linked Insurance Policy

Hi HMRC, I surrendered an Investment Linked Insurance policy in foreign country. There was a loss in surrendering the policy. Should it consider as income loss or capital loss? I paid the monthly premium in foreign currency for over 15 years. Which exchange rate should I use to determine the purchase price in GBP? May I use the exchange rate at the time I surrendered the policy to determine the purchase price and selling price in GBP? Is it necessary to report this case in self assessment in case this is an income loss? Pls comment. Thanks.