Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 12 Jan 2024 10:27:07 GMT by mkcchan
Hello, I disposed some listed shares between September and November 2023. Each listed shares made a loss unfortunately. On the other hand, I have never make any gain in other capital asset disposal up to this moment. Could I report the capital losses until I submit my tax return for tax year 6th April 2023 - 5th April 2024? Pls comment. Thanks.
Posted Wed, 17 Jan 2024 09:15:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi mkcchan,
You have 4 years from the end of the tax year that the losses arises, to report them.  
Leave it any longer and it is too late to claim them!  
You can carry forward your losses and set them against a future gain.  
If you are required to complete a tax return, you claim the losses through that.
If you don't, then a letter with supporting calculation is required.
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 30 Jan 2024 21:50:08 GMT by
Hello. I have a similar question to what was asked above, which was partially answered here. If I do not have sufficient gains to report, but I do have significant loses from the last several years. HMRC admin 20 mentioned a letter with supporting calculations to prove the loses. Could I please have a link to an example, for when I need to do mine? Thanks
Posted Wed, 31 Jan 2024 11:21:58 GMT by
Is a note of capital losses previously declared shown on the personal tax account?
Posted Fri, 02 Feb 2024 08:20:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi princekras,

There is no link to an example as eveyone would have diffrent details to report. You need to report the losses within 4 years of the year in which they arose in order for them to be allowable, so anything prior to 2018 to 2019 can no longer be considered.

If you have spreadhsheets of your figures you can send these as your figures with a covering letter asking for the details to be noted.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 02 Feb 2024 09:31:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi ALSto,
Not normally as this will have been done on your tax return or by a letter.
Thank you. 
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2024 21:08:36 GMT by Kez
Hi. In the letter to HMRC where I want to report losses. I plan to include the transactions list from the last 4 years from my investment account. And a portfolio overview where it shows multiple positions I have closed/sold at an overall loss. Would that be sufficient evidence? The screenshots + transaction script includes time and date as well. Also where should the letter be sent? Thanks
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2024 13:57:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 18 Response
Hi,

Yes this will be sufficient.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.