Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2024 15:31:53 GMT by Jan21
Hi, I've been renting my flat out to tenants and am now going to sell. After the tenants left, I had to arrange some redecorating and repairs, which we waited to complete until the tenants left, because it would have disrupted the tenants. (For example – repainting the kitchen floor, painting in the bedrooms, and painting and grouting in the bathroom/shower.) I have a couple of questions: 1. As I'll be selling the flat, is it possible to deduct the repair/redecorating costs against the rental income previously received? 2. If that's not possible, can I offset the cost of these works against my capital gains tax instead? If so, what kind of deductible category/expense would that fall under, since the work done involved repairs & redecorating? Thanks for your help.
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2024 07:03:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi ,

1) No because any income and expenses have to be occurred wholly & exclusively for the rental business.

2) No here is a list of the costs that you can deduct for capital gains tax purposes:

CG15250 - Expenditure: incidental costs of acquisition and disposal   .

This is how you calculate the gain:

Tax when you sell property

There is no category those repair/expenses would fall under. 

You get you money back by increasing the sale price of your flat. 

For example your flat might be worth £190,000 but if you spend £5,000 redecorating and replacing items on a like
for like basis you might be able to sell the flat for £195,000. 

Recuperating your expenses and leaving a nicer flat for the new owners to enjoy.

Thank you .
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2024 14:19:47 GMT by Jan21
WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.