Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 07 Oct 2024 16:24:11 GMT by ricon
Hi, my wife and I are UK tax residents. We jointly own a Hong Kong-incorporated limited liability company that owns a Hong Kong property producing rental income. In other words, the Hong Kong-incorporated company is the landlord in the tenancy agreement and, therefore, receives the rental income, not us. I suppose we (my wife and I) do not report such rental income in our UK tax returns, but we would appreciate your confirmation. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2024 09:02:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi ,

Thank you for your question.

In the UK, where the rental business is held and managed through a limited company, any rental profits are subject to Corporation Tax (CT).

Assuming this is also the case for Hong Kong, then there is no requirement to report rental income as ‘individuals’ to the UK as it is not subject to income tax.

However, we can only provide advice for individuals on this forum, we cannot confirm the CT position for Ltd companies or any CT residency aspects.

You may wish to contact the CT helpline on 0300 200 3410 to check if there is anything else you need to consider   .

Thank you .
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2024 09:42:48 GMT by ricon
Thank you for the helpful reply!

You must be signed in to post in this forum.