Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2024 13:55:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi ,

Thank you for your question.

A declaration or trust is a legally binding document that creates a trust.

Most types of trust giving an interest in property to somebody who is not the legal owner now need 
to be registered with HMRC via the Trust Registration Service.

You can find guidance on the registration requirements and how to register at :

Register a trust as a trustee .

There is also more information about what types of trusts need to be registered at :

TRSM23050  .

My colleague appears to have answered the other questions raised in your previous post.

Is there anything which requires clarification ?

Thank you .
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2024 12:38:49 GMT by Magda1989
Hello HMRC team, I have a question regarding rental income and property income allowance. In a previous tax return, income from property rental was reported, and deposit protection was claimed as an expense. This year, the deposit was refunded, but there was no income or expenses from property rental. It is understood that the refund of the deposit should be considered income. If this is correct, can the property income allowance be used in this situation? Thank you for your assistance!
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2024 17:28:05 GMT by Magda1989
Hello, If someone rents out a room in their UK home and claims the Rent a Room Allowance on their tax return, while also owning a property abroad which they rent out and declare as foreign income, can they claim the Rent a Room Allowance for the UK rental income and the Property Allowance for rental income from abroad as well? Thank you
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2024 20:24:22 GMT by Wojciech
Thank you. Can you please confirm that the exact steps that need to be followed are below: 1 Write trust deed (me being legal owner of the property my parents being beneficiary owners), expressing the split of income - I can look up example / template online for this 2 Send the trust deed along with a cover letter to HMRC - stating my name, my parent's names, residential address (and as they are living abroad, their correspondence address would be the same as mine), DoBs and explaining that I am the legal owner and my parents would be the beneficiary owners. Also asking for UTR to be assigned to my parents and HMRC online account to be created for them in order for them to be able to be able to submit their tax returns. Please note they do not have UK NINO or any other UK relations. 3 You mention Trust Registration Service - I assume that HMRC registers this based on my Trust Deed and cover letter - or do I need to do anything (beyond sending Trust Deed and cover letter) 4 Taxation - my parents live in Poland which has double taxation treaty with UK and you stated earlier that UK has first taxation rights on any UK property income. 5 Do my parents need to submit tax return even if the rental income would be below the below the £12,570 tax free allowance threshold (and no other UK income)? 6 Rental income to be sent to bank account held in my name, me then sending the money to my parents as per the Trust Deed. 7 In the future - how can I change the Trust parameters (for example from my parents getting 100% of the rental income to parents getting 50% and me getting 50%) Kind regards, 

Name removed admin .
Posted Sat, 19 Oct 2024 14:21:39 GMT by AdrianQ
Hi My daughter owns her own house. If she goes travelling and rents it out, can I receive the income from the property and declare it on my self assessment? This would of course be done with her written consent. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2024 07:37:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi ,

Thank you for your quesion. 

Your parents do not need to be co-owners of the property. 

Deed of assignment)  .

This states that by way of a valid declaration or deed of trust you can assign the income from the property to your parents.

Thank you .
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2024 08:37:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi ,

For more information regarding Property Income Allowance and what are considered relievable receipts,

Please refer to our Property Income Manual at PIM4424:

PIM4424 - Property allowance: contents: definitions: relievable receipts    .

Thank you .
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2024 12:44:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi ,

Yes, you can claim rent a room separately from the Property Allowance.

Where a taxpayer has taxable receipts after rent a room has applied, they are normally taxable as property income together
with the rest of the rental business i.e. foreign property income, see :

PIM4001 - Rent-a-room: overview  . 

Thank you .
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2024 07:03:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi ,

Step 1 and 2 of your query is correct.

In terms of 3, you would need to check the details in the following link for if the Trust needs to be registered or not,
which is an action you need to carry out and would not be automatic based on the Trust deed completed.

See :

Manage your trust's details  .

Point 4 is also correct, property income within the UK falls under first taxing rights of HMRC, even if living overseas.

Point 5 - As non-residents, all property is requried to be submitted to determine worldwide income and any taxes due.

Point 6, there is obligation to where rental income is received, only who has legal and beneficial rights over such income.

The link provided goes into detail as to firstly creating the Deed, as well as how to update the Trust from 100/0% to
the chosen percentages through the Trust registration Service.

Thanks   .
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2024 07:45:52 GMT by Lodd-Lon-tax Queries
WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2024 09:47:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi ,

If your daughter is the sole legal and beneficial owner of the property the rental income is their income for taxation purposes, you cannot include this on your own tax return on their behalf. 

However, your daughter can execute a declaration of trust under which they transfer and give beneficial interest of the income to you.

More information can be found in see:

TSEM9160 - Ownership and income tax: legal background: ownership - income follows property   :

TSEM9170 - Ownership and income tax: legal background: ownership income follows property - variation   and  :

TSEM9520 - Ownership and income tax: express trusts - written declaration   .

Thank you .

You must be signed in to post in this forum.