Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 16 Jan 2024 10:02:08 GMT by samuelkfp2000
Hi, I have a property rented out in 2022/23 financial year. I would like to ask how I should fill the below expense in self assessment tax return? 1. Gas safety check - should I put this expense under “Property repairs and maintenance” or “Costs of services provided, including wages”? 2. Installation of a replacement gas hob, oven, washing maching - should I put this expense under “Property repairs and maintenance” or “Costs of services provided, including wages”? 3. Recycling of old washing machine and oven - I bought new washing machine and oven as the old one not longer working. I need to ask the company to move out the old washing machine and oven. Should I put this recycling expense under “Property repairs and maintenance” or “Costs of services provided, including wages” or “Costs of replacing domestic items”? 4. Management service charge - the apartment is managed by a property management company and I need to pay management service charge. Should I put this expense in “Rent, rates, insurance, ground rents etc:” or “Legal, management and other professional fees” ? 5. Electricity and gas fee - Should I put this expense in “Rent, rates, insurance, ground rents etc:”, similar to water rate? 6. Tenant finder service - I have use the service of property agent company for finding the tenant. Should I put this expense in “Rent, rates, insurance, ground rents etc:” or “Legal, management and other professional fees” ?
Posted Wed, 17 Jan 2024 09:41:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi samuelkfp2000,
Thank you for your question.  For further information about expenses and where to include them on your return, please refer to the UK property notes help sheet, which can be found on our website at Self Assessment: UK property (SA105)
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 17 Jan 2024 11:05:07 GMT by samuelkfp2000
In the document of UK property notes Tax year 6 April 2022 to 5 April 2023 (2022–23), page 8, paragraph 2, “If your total property income before expenses (including income from furnished holiday lettings) is below £85,000, you can just add up your expenses excluding any residential property finance costs and put the total (minus any FHL expenses) in box 29. “ Box 29 is Other allowable property expenses. My annual total property income is 12,000 pounds. Is it mean I can added up all the management service charge, insurance, painting, and Costs of replacing domestic items, etc (excluding any residential property finance costs) and put into Box 29?
Posted Fri, 19 Jan 2024 11:57:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi samuelkfp2000,
Yes, hough it may be useful to breakdown your expenditure should we need to review it and show it in the appropriate boxes.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.