Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Correcting SA tax return calculation

So there is no way of sending a correction if the figures we have entered are correct but we think the calculation of tax due is wrong? I would use those contact options if there were any advisors available on webchat or who picked up the phone...
  • RE: Dividend tax calculation error in online SA?

Thanks for the responses. HMRC Admin - if I understand correctly, it would only be beneficial for the personal allowance to be set against dividend income if there were no other income subject to a higher tax rate. But I have salary above my personal allowance, and the marginal tax rate on that is always higher than for dividend income, so it should always be beneficial to set the personal allowance against the salary and have dividends be taxed at the dividend rates. Can you give an example of tax return numbers where salary exceeds the personal allowance, but it would be beneficial to set the personal allowance against dividends rather than salary, or another way in which dividends apparently get included under "Pay, pensions, profit etc." in the most beneficial arrangement? I'd like to get the correct numbers confirmed before submitting the return, which seems to me like confirming acceptance of the calculation given. I have tried getting through to the self assessment advisors, but with no success so far. Clive - nice thought but I'm paying plenty of income tax above what is due for Gift Aid.
  • Correcting SA tax return calculation

Hello, I think HMRC's online calculation of my tax due in the 2023/4 tax year is incorrect*. Is there a way to override the calculation and enter the correct tax due in the online system? I've read that it's possible to amend a return after it has been submitted online - is there a way to correct the final calculation, or can only the entries be corrected (such that the final calculation will not be corrected)? *See issue at https://community.hmrc.gov.uk/customerforums/sa/db141121-9c05-ef11-a81c-6045bd0d9b48#6046d370-9a09-ef11-9f8a-6045bd1255b5 , which nobody has said is not an error yet.
  • RE: Dividend tax calculation error in online SA?

Thanks for the response. My other income does exceed my personal allowance. Even if it didn't, it still shouldn't result in marginal tax on dividends of 20%, should it?
  • RE: HMRC software calculating tax on dividends at 20%

I've seen a similar issue. Did the previous issues referred to here get resolved? I noticed that a possible explanation is that the personal allowance is being set against the dividends before being set against salary etc, which would result in the dividends appearing to be treated like salary (but I can't confirm this from the calculation shown). I posted a new issue at https://community.hmrc.gov.uk/customerforums/sa/db141121-9c05-ef11-a81c-6045bd0d9b48
  • Dividend tax calculation error in online SA?

Hello, I'm trying to complete my 2023/4 return online. I have some dividend income above the £1,000 allowance (£544). In the "view your calculation" section, the dividends do not seem to be taxed at the dividend rates. Instead, under "Pay, pensions, profit etc.", the amount given equals the total of these items minus my personal allowance plus my dividend income (less the £1,000 allowance), all taxed at 20%. There is no separate dividend tax component. This seems similar to this issue from 6 months ago, which didn't look to have a resolution: https://community.hmrc.gov.uk/customerforums/sa/4c899329-ee82-ee11-a81c-6045bd0e4841 A way to get the same result as the online calculation is to first set £544 of the personal allowance against the dividends rather than salary - that way, the part of the personal allowance subtracted from salary is £544 less than it should be and the amount under "Pay, pensions, profit etc." is £544 more. This results in the tax due being higher than if the whole of the personal allowance is set against salary and the dividends are taxed at the basic rate, however. So could this be a mistake in how the online calculation is working? Note, I have recorded charitable donations that increase my basic rate limit to be just above my taxable income (including the dividends after subtracting the £1,000 allowance) and it seems possible that being close to the limit affects the tool's calculations somehow - just thought I'd mention it in case this can only be replicated in quite specific circumstances. Is there a way to supply our own calculation if the online self-assessment seems to be overestimating the tax due?