Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 06 Jun 2023 09:35:12 GMT by
Hi, I’ve just switched over to Quickbooks (was using Sage) and I keep getting an error when trying to connect to MTD. Error code is “CLIENT_OR_AGENT_NOT_AUTHORISED” Need to get this sorted as it’s VAT month this month. Quickbooks have confirmed it’s nothing on their end.
Posted Tue, 06 Jun 2023 14:55:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 17
Hi.

This error message would normally mean that the software isn't connecting to the correct Business Tax Account .

In order to submit an MTD return via your software,the software has to connect to the correct BTA account with has the MTD services enrolled on it. 

If this doesn't resolve anything then contact our Helpline on 03002003700 so that we can resolve it this side  .

Thank you.

Posted Mon, 10 Jul 2023 18:12:21 GMT by
I've tried a lot of different things but now the error message I get is "We can't connect to HMRC This could be because you recently: signed up for a Making Tax Digital account with HMRC submitted a VAT return to HMRC If so, hold tight. HMRC should restore the connection within 72 hours. Has it been longer than 72 hours? Then contact HMRC. It's been saying this for the past month. I contacted HMRC last week, I was on the phone/on hold for just over 2 1/2 hours and STILL nobody could help me. They have escalated this but they can only tell me that someone will be in contact within 15 working days. I need to submit the VAT return on or before 07 August. What happens if this is not resolved by then? Will I get fined - even though I am unable to get this issue resolved? I need an email address to escalate this to. I do not have the time, patience or inclination to sit on hold for 2 1/2 hours to get no further. Help and Advice needed urgently please.
Posted Mon, 17 Jul 2023 11:29:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

After enrolling for Making Tax Digital then, as you stated, you should have received an email to confirm that the Making Tax Digital Service is live.
The inability to complete returns would have been reported to our IT team after you spoke with our helpline and this will be looked at urgently.

If you do receive a penalty in the meantime then please contact our VAT team again and we can request a review of this penalty.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 31 Oct 2023 11:47:16 GMT by
I have been submitting VAT through making tax digital linked to quickbooks since the start of MTD. This quarter the connection has been lost in our Quickbooks. I've been through all the trouble shooing and it still is not connected. `Today is deadline for this quarter. Any advice on why the link has been broken?
Posted Wed, 01 Nov 2023 15:23:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi bmtfilm,
Please speak to our Helpline so that we can look at resolving the issue for you.
VAT: general enquiries
Thank you.

Posted Fri, 03 Nov 2023 12:18:38 GMT by
We will try this - but it is exactly the same issue as the person above. Not sure seeding 2 hours waiting on the phone is useful. If tis a recurring issue could you put a note on the service issue went page. There isn't one at the moment. Ta

You must be signed in to post in this forum.