Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2024 09:31:34 GMT by Alan Jones
I am currently filling gaps in my NI record because I was contracted out for most of my working life. I am 2 years away from state pension age (May 2026) and I will need another 3 years credits for a full pension. I can claim a full year for the year 2023/24 but not until November and there is currently around an 8 month processing window. This year will be added to my record before I reach state pension age, but the next 2 years credits will not be added to my record until after I start claiming my pension, 2024/25 around 3 months after and 2025/26 around 15 months after. Once these additional credits are added, will the additional pension be backdated?
Posted Fri, 03 May 2024 09:34:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Alan Jones,
If you are applying for specified adult care credits before your state pension age they will be processed when they are applicable to the tax year that you apply for.
If that date is past your state pension age when they are processed the pension will not be backdated.
If you wish to ensure you receive the full state pension there is the option to pay voluntary national insurance before you reach state pension age.
If you do decide to pay voluntary national insurance on any tax year you apply and are awarded the transfer of credits, if you contact us to tell us you are paying voluntary
national insurance for that very reason and you are awarded the transfer of credits once they are processed, we will refund the voluntary national insurance you paid to ensure
you received the full state pension before you reached state pension age.
Please ensure you check with the Department for Work and Pensions that the tax years will increase you pension accordingly.
Voluntary National Insurance
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.