Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 30 Nov 2023 07:29:33 GMT by FH
I have moved to UK in Jan 2023 but I am still working for Hong Kong company. They will pay to my Hong Kong bank every month. May I know how can I contribution to national insurance for this case.
Posted Thu, 14 Dec 2023 09:22:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi FH,
If you are now living in the UK with a foreign income (no UK base of operations) you will need to do a Self Assessment tax return. Please contact the National Insurance helpline to discuss your circumstances.
National Insurance: general enquiries
Thank you. 

Posted Sun, 17 Dec 2023 06:35:49 GMT by Jessica McCarroll
Hi HMRC. I have been offered a job by a Hong Kong company to work remotely in the UK. If I take the job, I know I need to pay income tax and NI. Are both paid annually through Self Assessment? Does the NI need to be paid annually, quarterly or monthly? Please direct me to information where it clearly states the process of paying National Insurance if you are a remote worker in the UK working for a foreign company with no presence in the UK.
Posted Thu, 11 Jan 2024 14:24:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Jessica McCarroll,
Your first step would be to write to HMRC for a liability decision providing the following information:
  • Full name
  • National Insurance Number
  • date of birth
  • date you left the UK - if applicable
  • your most recent UK address
  • your address abroad – if applicable
  • the type of work you do
  • your company name and address – UK and abroad
  • where your contract is held
  • how often you work in the UK
  • your normal working pattern (the days, weeks or months you regularly work)
  • The address to write to is:

PT Operations North East England
International Caseworker Department
HM Revenue and Customs,

National Insurance and Tax would not be paid through Self Assessment and you may need to set up a Direct Payment National Insurance Scheme, but you will need to contact HMRC providing the above information first.
ore information on the Direct Payment National Insurance scheme can be found here:
PAYE20100 - Employer records: set up employer record: DPNI scheme - direct payment (tax and NIC)

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.