Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 08 Aug 2024 14:52:31 GMT by Jan S
I’ve paid all my Nat ins contributions and already receiving my pension but because I’m the director of a (very small) Croatian company I have to prove my Nat ins status to the Croatian authorities with an A1 certificate. They won’t accept anything else. None of the forms apply to my situation but I have to get an A1 somehow. Advice please.
Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2024 10:17:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi JanS,
You can use the following link, this has information on how to request a certificate, and the requirements needed in order to do.
Apply for a certificate confirming you will pay UK National Insurance when working temporarily abroad (CA3822).
Thank you.
Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2024 10:49:47 GMT by Jan S
Thanks. I have read the CA3822 and have completed an application for both myself and my husband. But some parts were very difficult to fill in with any logic! For example, we are not “continuing to pay nat ins” as we’ve already paid it all and are receiving uk state pension. Also, really difficult, I had no idea what to put for the questions about my employer sending me abroad. There is no employer -so it’s not possible to give an employers PAYE code. The nearest I could find was the code for the company paying my private pension! Will HMRC realise some of the questions were impossible but still be able to issue an A1? We are completely desperate. The Croatian authorities have frozen our bank account and insist we owe them thousands of pounds.
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2024 08:53:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi,
If the CA3822 has been completed, but sent without a covering letter, then it will possibly be rejected based on the information provided.  
The application form more suited to your circumstances would be the CA8421, this application covers a number of different circumstances, and in some
cases allows you to complete without a UK employer.  
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2024 11:58:40 GMT by Jan S
Thankyou for attempting to help. We did include a detailed covering letter when sending in the form CA3822 so maybe HMRC will be able to figure things out…? I have looked at the form CA8421 and that is meant to apply to people who work in TWO or more eu countries. So that clearly doesn’t apply to us either as we are simply directors of a small Croatian firm (in order to rent out our house) and not really working in Croatia at all as the longest we go in summer is two weeks…and we are certainly not working in any other eu country. We live full time in the uk and always have. Do you still think we should fill in CA8421?
Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2024 10:18:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Jan S,
Based on the information you have provided, although you are not working in two or more countries, the CA8421 still sounds more applicable to your circumstances.
You can complete the CA8421 and attach a covering letter explaining your situation.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.