Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 26 Sep 2023 13:58:56 GMT by yipchunyu
I just moved to UK and paid for my first year's NI. Per information on my own account page, I will not able to get full pension (since I wont be able to pay enough years). As the page shows I have no gap year, may I know any way to pay for the missing years as if I would like to get full pension when I being retired in future?
Posted Wed, 04 Oct 2023 09:56:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi yipchunyu,

I am afraid you cannot pay NICs for years prior to your arrival in the UK.  
If there is a shortfall for the tax year during which you arrived, you can make a payment for this year, but not for any earlier ones.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 04 Oct 2023 10:05:17 GMT by yipchunyu
Thanks a lot. So, seems the way to increase the pension for my case may be delay the start date. Anyway, it's too far away. Let me handle it when I come close to retirement age then.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.