Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 14 May 2024 19:18:54 GMT by cat123
My wife has her NI number registered in 2011. Age-wise, she falls in the category of new state pension. She is under the state pension age. She has never worked and has no NI credits. Accordingly, her online "State Pension Forecast" shows no qualifying years at all. Her record/forecast shows gap years from 2006 to 2023 (17 years), and indicates that she could make voluntary contributions (e.g. paying GBP824.20 to cover 2006-07) to turn those years into 'Full Years'. She called Future Pensions Centre, who said that she should first pay for 10 gap years *only*, and that they did not know whether paying for more than 10 gap years would have any benefit. They didn't give any reasons. We are extremely puzzled by this. If she pays to cover all 17 gaps years (by making Class-3 contributions before Apr 2025), why wouldn't all 17 Full Years count towards the calculation of her pension when she reaches state pension age? What would prevent all of them counting? Thank you in advance for your advice.
Posted Thu, 16 May 2024 01:38:02 GMT by Johnny King
I believe HMRC are obliged by law to say that she must pay the 10 years first and once payment for that has been made (where applicable), then call them again and they can reassess her for the additional years. Interesting Q though....
Posted Thu, 16 May 2024 14:30:03 GMT by cat123
Hi Johnny King, I see. Many thanks for your thoughts -- very useful for us to know!
Posted Tue, 21 May 2024 13:57:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 8 Response
Hi,
If your wife did not receive a National Insurance number until 2011. The earliest year she could potentially pay for would be the 2010/11 tax year (if the number was created 5th April 2011 or Prior) or the 2011/12 tax year (if the number was created 6th April 2011 or after).
However, HMRC does not determine the amount of qualifying years a person needs for their state pension or which years will and wont benefit a person. This is all Administered by Department for Work and Pensions.
You will have to direct your query back to the Future Pension Centre.
Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.