Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2024 21:00:45 GMT by R Tho
I moved overseas in 2004 and wanted to review my pension/NI status If I go to 'View your National Insurance record', I see 8 years marked as 'Full Years'. These correspond to 5 years I was in full time education, and 3 years I worked before I moved. but If I go to 'View your State Pension summary', it shows that I have 8 years on record; however ALL of those are marked 'Year is not full'. Why the discrepancy? Is that because I was in a in a contracted-out pension scheme? Will that affect my ability to pay Class II contributions to fill in gaps while I was overseas?
Posted Mon, 30 Sep 2024 07:44:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 8 Response
Hi,
Without being able to check your record we are  unable to give a definitive reply.
Generally NI credits are not usually awarded specifically for a period in full time education. If you wish to pay NICs voluntarily for a period spent outside of the UK, you will need to complete form CF83. Your eligibility to pay will be assessed on your particular circumstances, we will then check your record for shortfalls and advise if these can be paid and at what rate.
To discuss the apparent anomaly on your NI record, you can call the NI helpline on 0300 200 3500. Lines are open 8am – 6pm Monday to Friday.
Alternatively, you can include your query in a covering letter with your CF83 form:
Apply to pay voluntary National Insurance contributions when abroad (CF83)
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.