Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 05 Jun 2024 10:49:51 GMT by Hillytag Hill
I'm employed by a UK company, but I'm choosing to live in Spain and to get Spanish residency. I require an HMRC A1 Certificate as part of the Spanish residency application, but my company aren't willing to complete the CA3821 for because it pertains to the company 'sending me to work in Spain. Please advise how I can obtain an A1 Certificate without my employer having to send me overseas? Regards, [personal info removed]
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2024 12:46:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

In order to obtain an A1 the CA3821 and CA3822 needs to be completed.  We cannot issue the A1 without first ensuring the company is eligible.

Tell HMRC if you're sending employees to work abroad (CA3821)

Apply for a certificate confirming you will pay UK National Insurance when working temporarily abroad (CA3822)

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 08 Jul 2024 17:43:45 GMT by Chloe
Hi, I'm also in exactly the same situation with my employer not wanting to complete the CA3821 form due to the wording of "sending employee abroad" as it's myself choosing to move there. Is there a way my employer can fill out the CA3821 in the situation of me choosing to move to Spain as oppose to being sent? Also would this cause any implications for my employer? Do they need to have an entity in Spain? Thanks, 

Name removed admin .
Posted Fri, 19 Jul 2024 09:48:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Chloe,
HMRC do need your employer to complete a CA3821 so that we can complete further checks.
They can attach a covering letter with the form to explain that they are not actually sending you abroad, and that you are choosing to work from Spain.
Please ask your employer to do this.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.