Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 08 May 2024 10:31:10 GMT by William Wilkin
I am looking to plug gaps in my NI record. I was unemployed for some periods, seeking work, but not on JSA/benefits, and wish to claim credits. The website says talk to the Job center, I did that, The job center phoneline said download a form from the HMRC website, I cant find anything on the site for that. Whats the apporach to claim credits for those periods? I worked in Holland for a year and therefore made no contributions for that period, are there any credits that can be claimed for that period? For several months in 2012 / 13 it records no contributions but I believe they were made however I cant get my P60 from that far back, is there any route to resolving that?
Posted Fri, 10 May 2024 10:22:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi William Wilkin,
You would need to speak to the Job centre again to find out what form it is they are telling you to download and tell them that you have been unable to find it.
HMRC cannot award National Insurance credits from benefits without confirmation from the Department for Work and Pensions.
Further information regarding National Insurance credits can be found here - National Insurance credits
With regards to the period you were working in Holland, there would be no credits awarded to you however, you can apply to pay voluntary National Insurance contributions if you wish to fill the gaps for those periods. To do that you will need to complete the CF83 application form which can be found here - Apply to pay voluntary National Insurance contributions when abroad (CF83)
Before completing this form, you must read the information on the NI38, which can be found here - Social Security abroad: NI38 
With regards to the 2012-2013 tax year, please write to HMRC and we will check if we can trace any missing contributions for that year.
Please include the following information in your letter:
•    all employer details which should include employers name and address, your staff/payroll number (if known) and the tax year the earnings are missing from
•    any evidence of your earnings during the period for example pay slips, P45 or P60 certificates
•    your full name (with previous name if known), date of birth, address, a contact number and your National Insurance number
•    your signature
The address to write to is:
Individual Caseworker
PT Operations North East England
HM Revenue and Customs
BX9 1AN
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.