Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 22 Sep 2023 14:57:04 GMT by
I received my Nation Insurance no. long time ago, and I lost my card during the year. Now i wanted to retrieve the number for Online Tax purpose. this was the page I visited "https://www.gov.uk/lost-national-insurance-number". though to it said to retrieve the National Insurance number I would required to provide my National Insurance number.... then I found a paper form version "CA5403", I sent out the form to the office and never heard of it. on 90% of the case, all posts I mailed to HMRC office never get return. anyone can help on that? Tony
Posted Wed, 04 Oct 2023 09:26:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Tony Chau,

To trace a NINO even if you don’t know it…

-    Try setting up Personal Tax Account via gov.uk, if sufficient security questions passed then NINO will be confirmed.
-    Call the NI helpline on 0300 200 3500 and answer security questions – NINO will be sent in the post.
-    CA5403 from gov.uk fill in and submit by post, office will trace NINO and send confirmation by post.

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 10 Mar 2024 01:22:35 GMT by Kiya Clarke
I don't know my National insurance number and I have no way to get it. Can u help me get it
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2024 11:02:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

You can see guidance here:

Apply for a National Insurance number

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2024 11:18:18 GMT by dbaykina
Dear Madam or Sir, My husband a british citizen has died recently. We married and were living abroad (Cyprus) and I don't hold British passport. He was getting a state pension from UK. How can I get his National insurance number ? All forms stated on gov.uk dont apply to my situation unfortunatelly , also I dont have access to his letters from UK as his daughters took all the documents. I have our marriage certificate his death certificate and copy of his british passport.
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2024 08:43:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi dbaykina,
Can I suggest you contact the NI helpline on 0300 200 3500. Lines are open 8am – 6pm Monday to Friday.
Please note that we can only consider your request for confirmation of your late husband’s National insurance number if you are one of the following-
Administrator – a person appointed by the courts to administer the estate of someone who had died in England, Wales or Northern Ireland; usually where there is no will. In Scotland this person is known as an executor dative
Executor – In England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland, the executor is a person who is named in the will to deal with the estate
Personal representative – a general term for the person who is responsible for the settling the affairs of someone who has died. This term includes executors and administrators
If you wish to become your late  husband’s personal representative, you will be read the following when you call and must agree to it– 
If a refund of National Insurance Contributions is made to the estate, or if National Insurance contributions are due you will be responsible for dealing with the refund or debt as part of the estate of the deceased person and settling the claim of any other person who is entitled to a share in the estate
If someone else obtains probate (in Scotland, confirmation) or letters of administration for this estate, you will immediately return any refunded National Insurance contributions to HMRC National Insurance Contributions and Employer Office.
You will be responsible for all queries relating to the deceased individual and will receive all correspondence issued by HMRC.
Thank you.

Posted Tue, 24 Sep 2024 01:26:09 GMT by Rebecca Dodd
WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.