Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 22 Nov 2023 15:16:53 GMT by
I have viewed my Pension Forecast on line and the system implies if I make additional NI payments then my Pension will increase by £40 per week ( £2080 pa ) . This sounds like a very good investment and I feel I have possibly misunderstood the situation. The total of missing NI for 6 years is £4893. If I pay this amount will I really increase my pension or are there many other factors to consider? The system actually says "You have shortfalls in your NI record that you can fill and make count towards your State Pension. The most you can increase your forecast is £203.84 a week" ( from £163.07 )
Posted Thu, 23 Nov 2023 09:06:07 GMT by IXLegion AD120
@ParkerPen I know they allow you to pay back some years in arrears, maybe up to 6 years, do you know how many years you have paid in NIC's? on another forum there is confusion as to how many years we require in order to qualify for full State pension, I thought it was 40 years, most on the forum are saying 35 years! how many years have you paid yourself in NIC's?
Posted Thu, 23 Nov 2023 13:33:33 GMT by
Sorry I forgot to mention that. 40 years full contributions.
Posted Thu, 23 Nov 2023 13:37:50 GMT by
Also as a retired teacher I assumed I couldn't improve my state pension pension . Hence my query about not being able to increase a maximum for my circumstances. The pension forecast statement seems to suggest otherwise. I'm nervous about sending voluntary contributions if that won't actually increase my pension as I believe they are non refundable.
Posted Thu, 23 Nov 2023 16:49:50 GMT by Gary C
My guess would be that as a former teacher, your "starting amount" on transition from the old state pension to the new on 6 April 2016, would, in today's terms, be £156.20 per week (the old basic state pension maximum). For any year from 2016/17 onwards that is "full" or qualifying though payment of NIC or obtaining a credit for the year, you add £5.82 per week (£302.64 per year) to your starting amount until you reach the max. Based on the numbers you post, you are £40.78 short of the maximum. Buying 7 years would add 7 x £5.82 = £40.74 per week taking you to £203.81 per week. Paying a full year to add the final 4p per week would not appear to be a good idea. It is not clear why you mention 6 years as that would add £34.92 to your current forecast. Either way, you'll need to talk with the Future Pension Centre in DWP to confirm which years will improve your forecast and then with HMRC to organise payment.
Posted Mon, 04 Dec 2023 14:57:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi ParkerPen Nib,

HMRC can tell you how much you are able to pay and how to pay it. However we are not involved in the calculation of Retirement Pension and so we cannot advise on how the payment of National Insurance contributionss will affect pension entitlement.  

You can see information on how your pension is calculated and how to obtain a state pension forecast here:

The new State Pension

If you need further advice, you can speak to the DWP, if you are under State Pension age:

Contact the Future Pension Centre

Or if you are over the State Pension age:

Contact the Pension Service

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 05 Dec 2023 14:11:56 GMT by Davina
I have decided to go ahead and make up my contributions. I sent a largish cheque to HMRC as requested on 26.09.2023. I have heard nothing yet. Is this length of time normal or should I have heard something by now. The cheque hasn't been cashed yet. I haven't used this forum before and have no idea how to post this as a new subject. I reach pension age 05.01.2024 so it is getting very close and I don't want to miss out on getting a sensible state pension
Posted Fri, 22 Dec 2023 12:12:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Davina,
Please contact the National Insurance helpline so they can investigate the accompanying letter/cheque you have sent in and advise.
If you have access to a Personal tax account, you can also use the webchat services.
National Insurance: general enquiries
Number - 0300 200 3500
Overseas - +44 191 203 7010
Open - Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm, Closed on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.