Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 23 Jun 2024 16:35:37 GMT by abroadinireland
Your Guidance on Social Security abroad: NI38 explains that "You can pay Class 2 National Insurance contributions if you’re employed or self-employed abroad if: Immediately before going abroad, you were ordinarily an employed or self-employed earner in the UK. You also satisfy either of the following conditions: (a) You’ve lived in the UK for a continuous 3-year period at any time before the period for which National Insurance contributions are to be paid (b) Before going abroad, you paid any of the following National Insurance: from April 1975 to give 3 qualifying years from April 1975 to give 2 qualifying years and paid 52 National Insurance contributions (of any Class) before 6 April 1975 from April 1975 to give 1 qualifying year and paid 104 National Insurance contributions (of any Class) before 6 April 1975 156 National Insurance contributions (of any Class) before 6 April 1975 We’ll check this when you ask to pay Class 2 National Insurance contributions. If you lived or worked in an EU country, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland or Turkey, time spent there may help you to meet condition 2(a) or 2(b)." I worked in the U.K. and paid national insurance contributions for 2 years (was employed before leaving U.K.). Then I returned to Republic of Ireland and took up employment immediately. Does the last part of the NI38 statement above mean that time spent in Ireland (an EU country) can be counted towards meeting conditions 2(a) or 2(b)? So my 2 years in U.K. + first year in Ireland = 3 years?? I believe time in Ireland after leaving U.K. should also be counted under long standing Ireland/U.K. social security agreements under the Common Travel Area (CTA). These agreements ensures that social security contributions paid by UK and Irish citizens can be used to meet entitlement criteria for accessing benefits in each other’s state. These agreements were reinforced in 2021 with UK/Ireland: Convention on Social Security.
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2024 11:50:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi,
Unfortunately, without looking at your records and taking into account all of your circumstances, we are unable to advise you on this forum.
Please complete the CF83 application which can be found here - Apply to pay voluntary National Insurance contributions when abroad (CF83).
We will then write to you to confirm if you are eligible to pay voluntary National Insurance contributions. 
Thank you.

Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2024 13:48:29 GMT by abroadinireland
Hi, Thank you for replying to my query. I understand that you can give answer on individual case which depends on individual circumstances. But please can you provide clarify the general principle. If an Irish person worked for 2 years (and paid NIC) immediately before leaving the U.K and then returned to Republic of Ireland and immediately started work and paying national insurance contributions there. Can this time in Republic of Ireland (an EU country) be considered to meet conditions in 2(a) or 2(b)? This is what it seems to say in NI38 and i am just looking for clarification and interpretation of what is written. I understand that any answer that you give is general and subject to circumstances of individual cases. I would really appreciate your answer as I dont want to wait for several months for answer on CF83 only to find that I applied on wrong basis. thanks in advance [personal detail removed]
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2024 13:49:53 GMT by Chris Shallcross
Hi, my cf83 for was rejected because I live abroad but did some PT online work for a UK company in 2021 and 2022 - does anyone know my options as I can't get through to the number they gave me. Thanks
Posted Fri, 05 Jul 2024 14:03:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi Chris,

The best way to query your CF83 application is to contact our National Insurance team.  

National Insurance: general enquiries

The telephone lines open at 8am Monday to Friday and if you could call as soon after this as you can then the wait shouldn’t be too bad.

If you’d rather write to us to query the decision, then our postal address is:  

HM Revenue & Customs,
PT Operations North East England,
BX9 1AN,
United Kingdom

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 15 Jul 2024 09:56:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi abroadinireland,
Our ICW international caseworkers consider all information provided when applying to pay VNIC’s at the class 2 rate.
If you meet the conditions to pay then you will be accepted.  
Unfortunately I am not able to give further clarity on this forum.
Thank you.

Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2024 01:31:24 GMT by Antanas1963
Hello HMRC Admin 21 And how long to wait for accepting for Class 2? I sent a Voluntary Class 2 eligibility letter on 22 May 2024.
Posted Fri, 19 Jul 2024 09:32:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Antanas1963,
If you are in an EU country then our International Team are working on queries received in November 2023 or if you’re working in a country outside of the EU then the Team are working on queries received in February 2024.
Unfortunately, there will be a delay in you receiving a reply.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.