Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 09 Aug 2023 10:14:08 GMT by Sean Allan
I need to pay back about 10 years in national insurance contributions. I have lived abroad since 2012, and will be paying class 2 NI. The shortfalls are significant in my early years in the UK, let's say 2009, and 2010. I don't want to pay those ones just now, I would rather pay 2011 - onwards. How can I specify which year to pay? When I go to pay, it seems like I am just firing money into a black hole (and I assume it will deduct from the earliest year, first). Please advise....
Posted Wed, 16 Aug 2023 09:12:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Sean Allan,

Before you make any payments to HMRC you will need to complete application form CF83 (Application to pay National Insurance contributions while abroad).
You will find further information in leaflet NI38 - Social Security abroad: NI38, the CF83 application form is also within the same link.
Once you have received a response to your application, you would then contact the Department for Work an Pensions to find out which years are best for you to pay.
Information on how to do this will be in your response letter. When you are ready to make a payment, you can let HMRC know which years you are paying for by either contacting our helpline (+44 19 1203 7010) or sending a letter to the following address:
PT Operations North East England
HM Revenue and Customs
International Caseworker Department
BX9 1AN.

Thank you.

Posted Wed, 16 Aug 2023 10:44:34 GMT by Sean Allan
Hi, I completed it and sent it in. Unfortunately, it took a year to process, so my signature was no longer valid and I need to pay yearly. They asked me to resubmit the CF83 - but it's pointless as it still takes over a year and my signature will expire again. However, I want to select the years that I pay - some are more than others. How do I do that? Thanks,
Posted Mon, 21 Aug 2023 17:08:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
Unfortunately if you are unable to complete a new direct debit mandate due to the backlog you may wish to consider paying by annual remittance.
When you get a response to the CF83 application you will be notified of any shortfalls.  
You must confirm with the pension service prior to paying any voluntary NICs that they will increase your state pension entitlement.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.