Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 24 Sep 2023 11:31:58 GMT by Robert 2019
I wish to make an NI voluntary contribution before I reach retirement age. I have been given a unique reference and payment details by HMRC. However, my record for 22/23 via the Govt Gateway shows it is not yet available. 1. If I make payment, will the contribution be correctly allocated, or should I wait for the record to be available? 2. When will records for 22/23 be available? Thank you.
Posted Wed, 04 Oct 2023 09:34:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Robert 2019,

If you have already spoken to HMRC and been given payment details then the years you are paying for will be recorded and the payment will be allocated to that year/s as agreed.
It can take until October for the previous year to be finalised, if there is no information available for 22/23 in the middle of October call the NI helpline on 0300 200 3500to discuss those contributions.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 04 Oct 2023 10:36:58 GMT by Robert 2019
Thank you. Very helpful. I will just fall short of the full state pension when I reach state pension age in mid 2024. The shortfall will be around half a full years voluntary contribution. 1. Can I make a further voluntary contribution in April 2024 before the NI record is allocated? 2. Are part year voluntary contributions possible? If so, does the future pensions helpline compute? Or are only full year contributions allowed? Thank you
Posted Thu, 12 Oct 2023 08:59:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Robert 2019,

If you call the DWP Future Pension line 0800 731 0175 then they can advise exactly where the shortfalls are, whether paying the shortfall will increase the state pension amount and then they can pass you to ourselves to get details how to make the payment.  Payment of voluntary contributions can be made at any time and for any amount to make a year fully qualifying even small amounts like single weeks where necessary.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.