Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 04 Apr 2023 16:45:11 GMT by
I unfortunately have the wrong National Insurance number where I work and have had the wrong number for a considerable amount of time and am desperate to talk to someone about this however am continually let down by your customer service. I have tried everyday for the last week waiting for times that exceed an hour and still don't get through to anyone... I have tried first thing, last thing and all other times of the day and nothing. Could you please support me in the matter, is there an office based in London I can go to as the phone line is seemingly not an option,
Posted Thu, 13 Apr 2023 11:58:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Robert Hughes,

If you know that you are using the incorrect National Insurance (NI) Number you must tell your employer the correct NI number as soon as you can.
If you think that your NI contributions are not showing on your NI record then you will have to write into the department with evidence of paying NI contributions.  
The evidence we would accept is copies of P60, payslips, letters of employment from your employer.
Please include all personal information including current and previous addresses, dates of employment, date of birth.
If you know the correct NI number then you should also quote this with your incorrect NI number so a full investigation can be carried out.
If you are using a Temporary Reference Number and have not applied for a full National Insurance number then you can do this on line at:
 Apply for a National Insurance number

Thank you.

Posted Fri, 05 May 2023 12:16:13 GMT by
I provided an incorrect national insurance number to my employer, which resulted in my salary being deducted from the tax for these months. My employer asked me to contact you and provide you with the correct number.
Posted Thu, 11 May 2023 11:47:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Xindi, 

You will need to keep trying to contact our Income Tax department so that we can update this Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.

Posted Tue, 15 Aug 2023 11:01:16 GMT by
My previous employer had my National Insurance incorrect on my documents, I had told Them for months that it was incorrect and it needed to be changed. I thought it had been sorted as I spoke to someone from HMRC in relation to me having issues with accessing my P45 and my payslips from when I had left the company, I was told it was all sorted on your end. Since leaving them in may I have had nothing but issues in trying to get my P45 and payslips for months, I managed to finally get the documents from them after I had spoken to someone from HMRC but while checking them, my National Insurance number is still incorrect on them. What would be my next step from here?
Posted Mon, 21 Aug 2023 15:44:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi caseypid
I am sorry that you are still having issues with your former employer with them recording your NI number incorrectly.  
Unfortunately the P45 and payslips are issued by your Employer and HMRC cannot change any information on these documents.  
You should still keep the payslips and P45.  
Provided we have now sorted your record from our end, you would be advised to retain these anyway.  
If you have a Personal Tax account set up via the Government Gateway, you can check your National Insurance Record at any time to ensure that all your employment record is correct.  
You can also request a Statement of your National Insurance and from October this year this will include the 22/23 tax yr.  
Information for the current year is not available until the end of the tax year.  
This is why we advise to keep payslips/P45/P60.  
P60’s are a summary of your yearly employment with your employer, so this is the main evidence of NIC paid.  
If you have any queries about your NI, you can call our NI Enquiry line on 0300 200 3500 Monday – Friday 8am – 6pm.
Posted Tue, 12 Sep 2023 16:28:52 GMT by
Hello, as the employer, I recently discovered that we had listed the incorrect NI number for a former worker. Her last day with us was in August and her P45 has the incorrect NINO listed - how do we rectify this?
Posted Fri, 15 Sep 2023 12:43:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
If the employee has now left your employment, there is no action you can take to rectify this.
The employee will be required to rectify this with the new employer. 
Posted Mon, 30 Oct 2023 11:44:42 GMT by
Dear Sir/Madam, My BRP was showing the same national insurance number with my husband hence I had excessive tax deductions from my salary. I had my own insurance number and fixed it and asked for recalculation from HMRC. As I have been advised by HMRC agent to communicate my company’s payroll department and request a transfer from mu husband's number to mine which called end of year correction. I have been told by my company that it was only for the first 2 months and the calculations should be done by HMRC. It’s like a ping pong, could you please help me for recalculation of the first two months of my employment? Regards
Posted Tue, 07 Nov 2023 12:03:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Hatice,
If your details were submitted by your employer under the wrong National Insurance number then the employer would need to submit an online amendment.
To check if this has been done you would need to contact HMRC to access and review your records. Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you.

Posted Sun, 12 Nov 2023 01:39:31 GMT by
Hi, same thing happened to me. Write in to HMRC office with the correct details and they will correct this for you.
Posted Wed, 15 Nov 2023 01:41:45 GMT by
Dear Sir/Madam I have applied for NI number since October 3rd 2023 and I am yet to receive the NI number. Please I need help as this is impacting some applications of mine that require NI. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 21 Nov 2023 10:49:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Zainab
New NI number applications are processed by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and can take up to eight weeks from interview to receiving a NINO.  If the interview was over eight weeks ago then you should call DWP on 0800 141 2079.
Thank you.
Posted Mon, 27 Nov 2023 20:05:12 GMT by
Hello! My NI number on my BRP changed. Is it normal? I was on skilled worker visa previously and I left the UK as my visa was expired. I re-entered the UK on a new skilled worker visa and my NI number on new BRP was changed to another number. Kindly suggest me about it whether it is normal or not. If not, may I know any contact details or how should I proceed? Thank you.
Posted Mon, 11 Dec 2023 15:54:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

You will need to contact our National Insurance team and advise them you have two National Insurance numbers.

Please continue to use the original National Insurance number you have been given with any employers and providing you pass security we can update your information.

National Insurance: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 05 Jan 2024 12:56:25 GMT by maria prado
Hello, I've been reaching out to different help lines for assistance without any luck. It appears that my twin sister and I have been assigned the same National Insurance Number. Could you guide me on the proper procedure to correct this error? Thanks!
Posted Tue, 09 Jan 2024 21:11:09 GMT by
Hello HMRC Admin, I have noticed recently that my NI Number in P60 year '19-'20 was incorrect. This mistake was made by the vendor who files tax returns for my employer. Due to this issue, my personal tax account shows a NILL contribution for all years after that. I would like to know what steps of corrections can be taken. Should my employer send out the letter to you asking to update the NI Number for 19-20 P60 or it should be me who sends out letter? Also, Once HMRC corrects the NI Number will it reflect to my personal tax account automatically, as currently, it seems HMRC doesn't have any record of my NIC even though the P60 of the year 2020,2021,2022,2024 has the correct NI Number. Thank you
Posted Wed, 10 Jan 2024 09:48:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi maria prado,
If you could send us a letter to explain that your sister has the same National Insurance Number as you, we will be able to check the contributions and split them as appropriate.  
We will then send you both your correct National Insurance Numbers.  
Our postal address is:  
HM Revenue & Customs,
PT Operations North East England,
BX9 1AN
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 10 Jan 2024 13:56:10 GMT by maria prado
Hi there, Thanks for your response. I previously sent a letter with an explanation and additional documentation to that address in August 2023 and haven't received a reply. Is there an alternative way we can resolve this issue? Best, Maria
Posted Wed, 10 Jan 2024 15:51:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi A Chauhan,
To enable us to trace for any missing class 1 National Insurance contributions will you please send us a copy of the P60 for the 2019-2020 tax year with a
covering letter and we will be able to put them onto your National Insurance account.  
Once they’ve been traced and recorded on your National Insurance account they will be shown on your Personal Tax Account.  
Our postal address is:  
HM Revenue & Customs,
PT Operations North East England,
Individual Caseworker,
BX9 1AN
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.