Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 02 May 2023 13:45:56 GMT by
I recently started a new job and mistyped my National Insurance Number when filling in a new start form. Since then, I have received a payslip for April 2023 with the wrong National Insurance Number. I have notified my employer who has updated my records with the correct National Insurance Number but I have been attempting to contact HMRC to check what I should do about the April payslip and whether my National Insurance contribution for that month has been noted. Please advise on what to do, thank you.
Posted Wed, 10 May 2023 10:40:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Ellen Wilson,

I can confirm that you have taken correct action by notifying your employer of your correct National Insurance number.
You do not need to notify HMRC, your employer will be able to amend any previous month's errors through their payroll.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 11 May 2023 19:22:32 GMT by
In 2022, I renewed my tier 2 general visa, but upon receiving my new BRP, I noticed that my NI number was different. When I reached out to HMRC, I was informed that a complaint had been registered and they would merge my NI numbers to fix the issue. However, I have not received any updates for several months. Can you please provide me with an email address to raise my complaint? Thank you.
Posted Wed, 17 May 2023 15:41:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Selinminsu,

Without any details I can’t check to see exactly who has been dealing with the case so this is general advice re complaints.
Complain about HMRC is the best place to start, it has the online form which is submitted directly to HMRC and is sorted to the area involved.  Alternatively there’s information how to complain by phone or by post Make a complaint about HMRC

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 19 Sep 2023 21:03:29 GMT by
WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.
Posted Thu, 04 Apr 2024 16:04:10 GMT by cbyard
I recently became aware that my employer has my national insurance number incorrect on all of my payslips and recent P60. I contacted them as soon as I realised however I have been employed with them since July 2022 and this was only just picked up on recently. Is there anything else I need to do regarding having this corrected, will I need to contact HMRC to ensure my NI contributions are correct? And if so, how?
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2024 10:05:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

Once your employer updates your details and notifies HMRC this will update your HMRC records with the back dated information. 

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2024 07:01:46 GMT by Dinara Ismagambetova
Hello, I have recieved a letter from HMRC with my national insurance number, but in this letter only 8 numbers and letters but in my payslips it is completely different number and it is only 7 digits. So now I have 2 national insurance numbers and none of them is correct. What is my actions now to make it all right?
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2024 11:37:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

A National Insurance Number is made up of 8 characters, 2 letters, followed by 6 numbers and then another letter. It may be that you were previously using a temporary National Insurance number. Please check your personal tax account, if you have one, to ensure that the National Insurance contributions that you have previously paid are recorded.

If you do not have access to your personal tax account, please contact our National Insurance team and they will check that your employment is recorded correctly.

National Insurance: general enquiries

You should inform your employer of your correct National Insurance number.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.