Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 20 Nov 2023 08:19:52 GMT by
Hi, I have recently relocated to Norway. Due to the length of my stay in Norway, I will be paying taxes in Norway (already filed my P85). However, online it says that for the following 52weeks I will also have to pay NI contribution (whilst paying the same contribution in Norway). Is there a way to get exemption from either payments? Also, it seems that my employer is also still paying NI contributions. Does he have to for the same period of time? Or can he also opt out from either system (paying NI in UK or Norway)? Many thanks, Jana K.
Posted Fri, 01 Dec 2023 16:24:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Jana Krahulcova,
Depending on your employment and residential circumstances you must be liable to pay UK national insurance for the first 52 weeks working overseas if your employer is deducting NI. You can discuss this further with your employer as you are also now subject to the Norwegian government rules.
Please see paragraphs in the link attached under
National Insurance for workers from the UK working in the EU, Gibraltar, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, or Switzerland
“If you go to work in Iceland, Liechtenstein, or Norway”
and also
“If you are not covered by a social security agreement”
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.