Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 11 Oct 2023 11:10:48 GMT by
Hi If a pay rise is settled and results in pay being owed must this money be paid as a lump sum or can it be spread across remaining pay periods in the financial year. For example back pay of £1000 is owed employees have asked than rather have this in one lump sum they have it over the next 4 months ie £250 per month. This is to stop problems with Universal Credit and Student Loans where they will appear to have hit a threshold when in fact they haven't.
Posted Mon, 16 Oct 2023 13:15:28 GMT by Geek
This will be down to employment law and any contractual obligations. If it is not settled in a timely manner they could claim for unlawful deduction of wages or breach of contract so you should get employment law advise
Posted Tue, 17 Oct 2023 08:22:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
This isn't a question for the Employer Helpline I'm afraid you will need to call ACAS (Advisory, conciliation, and arbitration service) on 0300 123 1100.
They will be able to advise the correct way to make the payment. 
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 17 Oct 2023 08:33:01 GMT by
HI I haven't made my original post clear enough I think. The option to have the money paid in a lump sum is there. I was asking if there was any tax reason why people couldn't have their payments spread if they chose to or would this fall foul of some rule regarding Student Loans. What has happened previously is people have received this lump sum and a proportion of it has been taken for Student Loan re-payment. At the end of the tax year it has been claimed back as over the year the threshold hasn't been met it just looks like it for that one month.
Posted Thu, 26 Oct 2023 08:46:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Matthew Dyer,
I think in this case it would be best to contact HMRC direct:
Contact HMRC
Thank you. 


You must be signed in to post in this forum.