Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2024 10:33:48 GMT by Michael Peters
As a contractor we have always filed monthly CIS returns and paid monthly payments as required via direct debit. Suddenly in this new financial year it appears that we are being asked to pay quarterly? We have never chosen this and prefer to pay monthly, but I am unable to find anywhere to change this back? I have rang the CIS helpline who told me to ring the employer helpline who just give an automated message to check payments in my online account and then disconnect, I am going around in circles. Please can you advise how to change this back to monthly payments? I understand we can still pay manually each month, but prefer to have the direct debit set up so we know it's not forgotten. Many thanks in advance
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2024 10:31:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 18 Response
Hi,

Sorry for the long delay in replying to your query.

I referred your query to our payments expert, and this was their response.

The payment frequency is reviewed after the end of every quarter in August, November, February and May, and will be automatically updated if a change to the frequency is required. Where the amount payable is below £1,500 a month, the requirement would be to pay quarterly. If the amount payable is £1,500 or more, the requirement would change to monthly.  

At this time, whilst the customer can choose to pay monthly, if the amount payable does meet the threshold noted above, there is no facility for the customer to change from quarterly to monthly, and enable the direct debit to collect the amount due each month. However, your feedback will be noted and the option to allow an employer to change the payment frequency from quarterly to monthly may be considered as a future improvement to our processes.  

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.