Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 02 Sep 2024 10:36:51 GMT by catkat96
Hi, I will be moving abroad and would like to keep my job in a UK company. I'm currently full time employed but can change to a consultant contract. I am planning on opening a personal company in my country of residence to offer my freelance consultant services, to pay all required income tax, equivalent NI contributions, and all relevant taxes to be paid by me on the country. My question is: 1 - would my employer in the UK be liable to pay any tax? Income tax to me as an employee, or corporate tax of some kind? 2 - would there be any obvious issues with sending money abroad for a UK company? 3 - do they need to pay VAT in the UK as a reverse charge or do I pay for it in my country of residence?
Posted Fri, 06 Sep 2024 09:31:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 13 Response
Hi,
You will need to complete a P85 to notify HMRC that you are leaving the UK.  
The P85 can also be used to to confirm that you will remain employed by your UK employer.  
HMRC can then arrange for your employer to stop deducting income tax from your salary.  
You will still be required to pay Class 1 National Insurance Contributions (NIC) and your employer will deduct this for you.  
HMRC expects you to declare your UK employment income as foreign employment income and pay tax in your new country of residence.  
All tax on your employment and/or self-employment including VAT will be declared in your country of residence and not the UK.
Thank you

Posted Fri, 06 Sep 2024 09:40:03 GMT by catkat96
Hi, thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention I am not a UK citizen - currently hold settled status. Is your answer still valid? I don’t understand how I would still need to pay Class 1 NIC?
Posted Fri, 06 Sep 2024 09:41:11 GMT by catkat96
Also, would I be classed as “still employed” by my employer if I’m on a consultant contract?
Posted Fri, 06 Sep 2024 09:49:45 GMT by catkat96
Adding more context as I think I wasn’t clear in my original question: I would be resigning from my current full time role in the UK company. I would open a personal company in my new country. I would then sell remote consultancy services to the UK company - do NOT expect to be full time employed in any UK company. I am not a UK citizen, but I am a citizen of the new country.
Posted Fri, 13 Sep 2024 12:10:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 13 Response
Hi
It is up to you to determine if you are employed, or self employed as a consultant for the UK company.  
Class 1 national insurance is deducted from non UK residents, who are employed by a UK employer, but not if you are self-employed.
Please see: Employment status: Self-employed and contractor .
Thank you 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.