Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 06 Feb 2024 00:00:47 GMT by Noone
1. I am a director and my tax code has changed. I went to put the new tax code into Basic PAYE Tools, but it says "You must never alter an employee's tax code unless you are notified to do so by HM Revenue & Customs". Is this really correct? That a company doesn't update the tax code when an employees code changes? 2. My tax code ends in "L". I Googled this and it says it means "L (Freeport — deferment)". Why would I have been given this letter?
Posted Wed, 07 Feb 2024 12:56:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Noone,
The 'L' at the end of the tax code isn't in relation to the freeport - deferment.
The guidance you are looking at is in relating to the category letter for National Insurance.
Both of these are completely seperate. The 'L' is standard on the end of most tax codes. 
Please see guidance here:
What your tax code means
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 08 Feb 2024 01:32:21 GMT by Noone
Thank you for answering part 2. Please can you urgently advise on part 1 as I need to submit a return soon?
Posted Fri, 09 Feb 2024 11:41:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 13
Hi Noone If your tax code has changed I'm assuming you have some direction from HMRC, if you have then you would change it. If in doubt you can call the Personal Tax helpline on 0300 200 3300 to check. Thank you
Posted Sat, 10 Feb 2024 02:37:27 GMT by Noone
No I haven't had any instructions from HMRC. I only saw that my tax code had changed because I was looking for something else on their website, and the tax code shown for this tax year was different to what it had been last year.
Posted Wed, 14 Feb 2024 10:55:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Noone,
We would need to access your record to check why your code has changed.
You can contact HMRC to review this:
Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.