Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2024 10:25:13 GMT by Puddleduck
I understand that if you are born between 6 April 1971 and 5 April 1973 so will be 55 before 6 April 2028, you'll be able to take your pension benefits at any time from your 55th birthday up to 6 April 2028. Assuming you are taking regular drawdown payments, will you then have to stop taking pension payments after 6 April 2028 until you reach the age of 57, please? I cannot find any definitive guidance on this. Has any been issued and if not, when is it going to be? Many thanks.
Posted Wed, 03 Apr 2024 10:06:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

Sorry, we cannot comment on future events as legislation may change.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 03 Apr 2024 10:27:34 GMT by Puddleduck
Thank you for your reply. Could you please clarify what current legislation says in this respect - or is the issue not actually covered by current legislation?
Posted Fri, 05 Apr 2024 11:50:16 GMT by Pondgoose
I realise HMRC can only answer based on what current legislation says, but nobody seems very clear what it does actually say! Could you clarify if the change in minimum pension age impacts those in defined benefit schemes who take their DB pension when they turn 55 in (say) March 2028, but then don’t meet the minimum age from April 2028? Do the trustees have to suspend payment of their pension until the member reaches 57?
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2024 07:59:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Puddleduck

Please refer to Early retirement, your pension and benefits

Thank you

Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2024 08:21:15 GMT by Puddleduck
I've referred to the link you've given but it doesn't answer my question. If current legislation remains unchanged what will the position be for those born between 6 April 1971 and 5 April 1973 when we reach 6 April 2028, until such time as they reach 57? It's a simple enough question. I am just asking you how, and indeed whether, the legislation covers the point. There seem to be many different interpretations from pension professionals, whereas you are of course charged with actually monitoring the implementation of legislation so must surely be aware of what you need to look out for? It is impossible for anyone to plan successfully if current legislation is not clearly understood, although everyone recognises it could change. For now, perhaps you could please answer the question based on legislation as it stands?
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2024 10:13:44 GMT by Puddleduck
Just to add to my previous questions, this is a real issue which needs clarification, please. I had a look at the lively Money Saving Expert website and can do no better than to quote from a couple of posts to explain why your assistance is vital: 'My DC scheme has confirmed I do not have a protected pension age. Their suggestion was to take enough of my pension at 55 to straddle the gap between 6th April 2028 and my 57th birthday. My DB scheme will not let me take my pension until I'm 57. They said the option of taking my pension before 65 is discretionary. They have decided not to let anyone born between 6 April 1971 and 5 April 1973 take it until they are 57.' Another poster quoted a reply from Hargreaves Lansdowne as saying: 'You cannot normally access money in a pension until the normal minimum pension age (NMPA). Currently, the NMPA is 55, but as you correctly stated this is increasing to 57 from 6 April 2028. As you were born between 6 April 1971 and 5 April 1973, you’ll be in the unusual position whereby you’ll be able to take benefits from your pension once reaching age 55, but only for a limited time. Once the new minimum pension age of 57 is introduced on 6 April 2028, you won’t be able to access any further benefits from your pension until your 57th birthday, even if you’ve done so before.' The situation ask going to cause absolute chaos if it is allowed to continue without some sensible input, so do please help!
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2024 14:40:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Pondgoose

Please refer to Increasing Normal Minimum Pension Age

Thank you
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2024 16:41:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Puddleduck,
This forum is for guidance only and links are given to give you direction.
HMRC cannot comment on legislation and you would therefore need to contact us using a different chanel should you require specific advise.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.