Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 07 Nov 2023 16:04:32 GMT by
I believe I am due a tax rebate for 2022/23 as I shouldn't have paid any tax at all, but did in fact pay a small amount. The message on my online account says I have paid the right amount! So I am wondering whether there is a minimum amount of tax that can be refunded?
Posted Wed, 15 Nov 2023 08:56:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi LynR,
We would need to acccess your record to check the details for you for the 2022/23 tax year.
You can contact HMRC at Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 16 Nov 2023 10:46:24 GMT by
Thank you for reply, but you haven't actually answered my specific question which was - is there a minimum amount eligible to be refunded, eg. If someone has only paid, say, £10 or £20 in tax will that be considered too small to be dealt with. My total earnings were less than my tax free allowance so I shouldn't have paid any tax at all. I have tried to get through on the phone several times but always get the message that the lines are too busy and to try another time. I don't want to waste time pursuing this if the amount involved is too small to be refunded - hence my question. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 22 Nov 2023 10:20:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi LynR,
If you are due a repayment and if there is only a small difference between the tax due and the tax paid, we do not issue a calculation.
If you have earned below the Personal Allowance and tax was paid then yes this can be refunded.
If not yet received you will need to contact HMRC to review:
Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.