Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 20 Dec 2023 11:49:43 GMT by Simon Lorrimer-Roberts
I paid in excess of the Annual allowance for 2023/2022 using salary sacrifice to do it, this was done deliberately top mop up carry forward from earlier years. My employer is insisting that they can only show salary sacrifice up to the annual allowance meaning my P60 is not inline with what has actually been sacrificed, surely this is incorrect and its up to me to declare any overpayment, if needed (it isn't) on my self assessment not for them to show incorrect figures?
Posted Thu, 04 Jan 2024 16:12:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Simon Lorrimer-Roberts,
A salary sacrafice is change to your contractual rate of pay so would not show on a P60 as only income paid would show on this.
If your question is regarding income reported to HMRC you would need to speak to personal tax on 0300 200 3300 or SA on 0300 200 3310.
Thank you.

Posted Thu, 04 Jan 2024 17:14:39 GMT by Simon Lorrimer-Roberts
You response “………..of pay so would not show on a P60 as only income paid would show on this.” Indicates you are not actually reading the question. It not a case of it not being shown on the P60. it’s a case of they have restricted the amount not being shown to the annual allowance of £40k instead of the actual amount paid which was higher than this. So example if I paid in by salary sacrifice £45k, when producing the P60 my employer shows total earning minus £40 (quoting to me the the annual allowance limit of £40k as the reason for doing this) and hence shows the extra £5k as income, when in fact it was paid into a pension as salary sacrifice, I am I therefore correct in saying the P60 is wrong ?
Posted Wed, 10 Jan 2024 10:33:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

The amount you are paid and the amount you can salary sacrifice, is between you and your employer.

The P60 should only show the amount you were paid, and was run through PAYE for Income Tax and NIC.

If the figures are wrong, please talk to your employer. If they have said they will not do a salary sacrifice for more than £40000, that is for them to decide.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.