Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2023 13:48:45 GMT by
Hi, I am new in the UK (started on 2 October 2023 to my new job) and my employer put me on the emergency tax code (0T M1) and I have overpaid tax in my first two months. After I got my BRP I filled out P45 form and learnt that my tax code should be 1257L. I contacted to my employer to change my tax code but they said that I need to contact to HMRC to do that. I checked all information in the HMRC website and downloaded the HMRC application to my mobile phone as the instructions say it would be possible to correct tax code from the app. However, when I try to show my tax details from PAYE tab in the app, I get an error "Service unavailable". As a result, I cannot change my tax code. I tried to call HMRC on 0300 200 3300 and waited for 30 minutes but nobody answered. Could you please help me?
Posted Fri, 01 Dec 2023 07:40:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Fehmi Emre Kadan,
We can also change your tax code if you contact us by webchat -
Please go to:
Income Tax: general enquiries
Select 'Ask HMRC Online' to talk to an advisor.
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 01 Dec 2023 15:56:03 GMT by
Thank you for this suggestion. I was able to solve my problem this morning. I think using the webchat to talk with a real adviser is a very good solution. I know a lot of people waiting for hours in the call to HMRC to reach someone. I think HMRC should promote webchat more and inform people about their benefits.
Posted Fri, 01 Dec 2023 16:57:10 GMT by Lynn Smith
I also need to get my tax code changed so used the link provided above to do this by webchat. But all I got was "You are currently chatting with a computer." and did not get to talk with a real adviser. The computer chat directed me to my personal tax account but I did not get to chat to a real adviser. Can you tell me how to chat to a real advisor please?
Posted Fri, 01 Dec 2023 17:37:52 GMT by
Hi Lynn, ask the chatbot "I want to speak to an advisor". Then it will say I can help you. Then ask again that "Can I speak to an advisor?" Then it will direct you a real person. But you should do this inside working hours. I hope this helps. Best regards...
Posted Wed, 06 Dec 2023 07:42:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Lynn Smith,
If you'd like to talk to an advisor about your tax code and are unable to do so via webchat, you can call our Income Tax department on 0300 200 3300.
Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 06 Dec 2023 19:53:29 GMT by Lynn Smith
Thank you Fehmi Emre Kadan I used your suggestion and got through on Web Chat in under 1 minute, a lot better than trying to ring when there is always at least 40 minutes wait. As you say HMRC should make it a lot clearer how to speak to an advisor by Web Chat but then I suppose it would get busier then and take much longer then a minute to get through.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.