Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 14 Jul 2023 12:02:39 GMT by
Hello, I've recently left the UK and relocated to Italy indefinitely. My UK employ employment will continue and I will conduct my work remotely. I've been advised to apply for NT tax code to prevent being taxed at source in the UK. Could you please kindly confirm if these are my next steps - complete form-DT individual - complete p85 - complete residency page sa109 in my self-assessment return (I received a directors fee and dividends in tax year 2022/23) Is there anything I am required to do with regard to HMRC? Can the forms be submitted by myself, of must they go via an accountant? With thanks,
Posted Thu, 20 Jul 2023 07:17:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
DT form individual relates to pensions and annuitites only, so cannot be used.  
If you do not need to complete self assessment tax returns, you would use the form P85 to request a NT tax code:
Get your Income Tax right if you're leaving the UK
If you do need to complete a self assesment tax return, you would compelete SA100 and any relevant supplementay pages, including SA109 and submit HS304 Non-residents tax relief under double taxation agreements (Self Assessment helpsheet HS304)
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 29 Dec 2023 09:14:55 GMT by
Hello Ness789 About to go through the same exact process as you did - any hints on how I should be contacting and working with HMRC (esp.wrt forms DT individual and P85)? Any assistance would be very much appreciated as trying to make my own and HMRCs life as straightforward as possible :-) thanks - Phil
Posted Fri, 19 Jan 2024 16:03:29 GMT by
Hi Phil, No useful advice I'm afraid. I submitted a P85 back in August 2023 and I'm yet to have any update from HMRC, other than that my case/submission is being reviewed (my accountant fed this back to me when they called to check on things on my behalf). Alas, no code yet. I wish I had more to say other than submit your forms asap as who knows how long it may take HMRC to process them! Best of luck with your move/relocation :)
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2024 08:21:18 GMT by Ankah93 Anker
Hey, I am in the same position. I'll be working fully remotely from Germany from October this year. I'll be a tax resident in Germany, hence I need a NT tax code. Is this process comoleted for you by now? By the looks of it o should action the process above asap. Regards, Fritz
Posted Mon, 01 Apr 2024 19:58:51 GMT by Calvin Taylor
Hey @Fritz I suggest getting the form in ASAP, I completed mine on January 5th and still haven't heard anything Ive heard the ETA is 8-11 weeks but I've now surpassed this...
Posted Tue, 09 Apr 2024 14:00:43 GMT by Ankah93 Anker
Thanks Calvin. I have sent this shortly before eastern. Is there any way to track the process of this? And what happens if I haven't heard back until October 1st?

You must be signed in to post in this forum.