Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 08 Jul 2023 00:40:13 GMT by Rahul
I have an existing Stocks & Shares ISA running from past 2 years. I have invested 2K GBP into it this financial year. Now can I open two new Stocks & Shares ISA and 1. Transfer this year's 2K GBP from my existing ISA into one of them 2. Transfer previous year investments into the other newly created ISA I also plan to invest the remaining 18K of my ISA allowance into the new ISA to which I intend to transfer the 2K GBP. Is this fine as per ISA transfer rules?
Posted Fri, 14 Jul 2023 07:04:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
There are 4 different types of ISA.  You can only  have a maximum of one of each ISA type in existence at any one time.  
The maximum of £20000 covers all existing ISAs.  If you have opened more that one stocks and shares ISA, you will need to contact the scheme manager to have the extra ISAs closed and the deposits returned to you. 
Individual Savings Accounts (ISAs)
Thank you
Posted Mon, 17 Jul 2023 15:20:04 GMT by Rahul
Looking at the information provided in the link given by you, it seems to be possible to have multiple ISA of the same type in existence. Quoting from the link: > If you want to transfer money you’ve invested in an ISA during the current year, you must transfer all of it. > For money you invested in previous years, you can choose to transfer all or part of your savings. Based on this information, in my initial query above, at least the first point should be possible i.e. I should be able to open a new Stocks & Shares ISA, transfer the 2K that I already deposited this financial year in the old Stocks & Shares ISA into the new Stocks & Shares ISA, and then continue to invest in new Stocks & Shares ISA (till the 20K limit is reached). Could you confirm?
Posted Mon, 17 Jul 2023 15:32:24 GMT by Rahul
Or maybe I misunderstood. The website mentions, "If you want to transfer money you’ve invested in an ISA during the current year, you must transfer all of it.". By all of it, does it imply all the money invested for the current financial year or all the money in the ISA?
Posted Fri, 21 Jul 2023 15:23:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Rahul,
You are correct.
You can have multiple ISA's of the same type, provided they were each opened in differen tax years.  
You would be able to open a new stocks and shares ISA and transfer the funds from the old ISA.
If you want to transfer money you’ve invested in an ISA during the current year, you must transfer all of it.  
For money you invested in previous years, you can choose to transfer all or part of your savings.  
The maximum you can save in an ISA in 23/24 is £20000.  
Thank you. 

Posted Tue, 26 Dec 2023 15:47:09 GMT by Gordon
I am interested in this topic. S&S ISA not been paid into during current tax year I want to open a new S&S ISA to start a new account. The former account is closing, not of my choice! Once they force closure I will transfer all assets/shares into the new provider IF I am as happy with thier service. That way I can test this new providr without comitting ALL of my portfolio until I have to move it. I have £20K to put in not including transfers, so as I am not ADDING to the old ISA I cannot see an issue with that.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.