Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 19 Dec 2023 11:20:47 GMT by
Hello, I started my new job the first week of September. I get paid the last working day of each month. My employer initially said that the tax code would be updated as soon as they receive notification from Hmrc. I phoned Hmrc on the 4th November and the colleague was very helpful and changed my tax code to the correct code. I had Novembers pay and again I’ve seen emergency taxed. I have since been in touch with payroll at my works and they are saying they have not received any updates. I telephoned Hmrc again on 6th December to which they have stated that the tax code was indeed sent in November but they had resent it again on 6th December. I’ve been paid early this month - to my surprise I’ve still been emergency taxed. This is putting me in financial difficulty. I now have to wait 6 weeks until my next pay at the end of January. I’m not sure what else I can do? Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks
Posted Fri, 22 Dec 2023 14:22:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

If we've now sent the code to your employer on several seperate occasions, their payroll system may be having issues receiving information from us. Please ask them to contact us via the Employer's Helpline on 0300 200 3200. We can then work with them to resolve the issue for you.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 31 Jan 2024 11:55:26 GMT by
Hello, I have suggested that they do this and to ring HMRC. Is there a complaints process that I can report my employer? I have been paid again today and yet again I have been emergency taxed. I am now in the position where I am missing important payments - housing and car. It’s leaving me in severe hardship.
Posted Tue, 06 Feb 2024 10:48:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Jadey121

I am sorry that you are having issues getting your correct tax operated by your employer. If your employer is not receiving the tax code they will need to contact HMRC to review Employers: general enquiries

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.