Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2024 19:47:13 GMT by Lauren Mery
Hi all, I'm seeking answers to a specific list of questions, and I'm having some trouble getting answers while browsing, so thought I would try it out here :) Context: I am currently working full time in the UK, for a UK company, as a UK citizen. My plan would be to resign as a full time employee, and get hired back as a freelancer in January 2025. Then the goal is to leave the UK and work remotely from abroad for the next couple of years. Every 2 to 3 months I would move to another country, in order to only require tourist visas. I will get the company to provide my salary/payment on my current UK bank account. Now I have a couple of questions around taxes: 1- My current employer thinks my traveling situation will put them at risk tax wise: however it is my understanding that as a freelancer, where I work from has no impact for them ? As long as I fulfill the work agreed on, obviously. 2- I believe I won't be considered a UK resident anymore, does it mean I do not need to pay UK taxes ? Who would I pay them to then ? What happens in this situation ? I would greatly appreciate any help I can get on this subject !! Tahnks in advance
Posted Mon, 02 Sep 2024 11:52:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

If you are self employed and not tax resident in the UK, you would not be taxable in the UK on your freelance earnings and your earnings would not be subject to class 2 or class 4 National Insurance. You would not need to report your freelance income to HMRC.  

We cannot comment on whether you would be taxable on your freelance earnings in the other countries you visit.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.