Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Freelancing as a digital nomad

Hi all, I'm seeking answers to a specific list of questions, and I'm having some trouble getting answers while browsing, so thought I would try it out here :) Context: I am currently working full time in the UK, for a UK company, as a UK citizen. My plan would be to resign as a full time employee, and get hired back as a freelancer in January 2025. Then the goal is to leave the UK and work remotely from abroad for the next couple of years. Every 2 to 3 months I would move to another country, in order to only require tourist visas. I will get the company to provide my salary/payment on my current UK bank account. Now I have a couple of questions around taxes: 1- My current employer thinks my traveling situation will put them at risk tax wise: however it is my understanding that as a freelancer, where I work from has no impact for them ? As long as I fulfill the work agreed on, obviously. 2- I believe I won't be considered a UK resident anymore, does it mean I do not need to pay UK taxes ? Who would I pay them to then ? What happens in this situation ? I would greatly appreciate any help I can get on this subject !! Tahnks in advance