Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2024 08:59:23 GMT by Clive Ward
I have set up a bare trust for each of my two grandchildren. The assets contained in them include Tesco shares and 2 ETFs, one provided by BlackRock Asset Management Ireland Limited and the other by UBS Fund Management (Luxembourg) S.A. I presume that dividends from both ETFs count as “foreign dividends” (even though the first is a FTSE tracker). Am I right in assuming that as long as the total income for each trust (along with any other income received by the child) does not exceed the personal allowance and that any capital gains are within the current CGT allowance then (a) no tax is due and (b) there is no need for a tax return to be completed (this is my understanding based on studying the relevant gov.uk pages but I would welcome confirmation that I have interpreted them correctly).
Posted Wed, 03 Apr 2024 11:20:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Clive Ward,
It is assumed the ETF is an exchange traded fund.
If as stated these are bare trusts then any gains would be chargeable on the beneficiary subject to an  annual excempt amount they may be entitled to.
Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 03 Apr 2024 15:31:20 GMT by Clive Ward
So are you saying that the answer to my second paragraph is "yes"?
Posted Wed, 01 May 2024 10:18:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Clive

This would need to be confirmed by the Trust office. They can be contacted on 0300 123 1072.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.