Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 14 Jun 2023 22:29:16 GMT by
Hi, I am a UK citizen and my father is not and lives abroad. He has different businesses in countries like Dubai, Kuwait, Pakistan, Canada and America. He wants to send me money, around £3000 a month for personal use such as rent etc from his business accounts in those countries. The money is already taxed in its country of origin and he is allowed to send it this way. Is this allowed or not?
Posted Tue, 20 Jun 2023 08:21:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi,

There are no income tax implications on the receipt of a cash gift unless the cash gift generates interest or dividends.
These would then potentially be subject to tax.  Further guidance can be found here Tax on savings interest and Tax on dividends
There is no inheritance tax implications either.

Thank you
Posted Fri, 23 Jun 2023 10:16:05 GMT by
Hi, I thought the cash gift allowance was £3000 annually. I am going to receive £3000 monthly and that from an overseas business account. Will that still be acceptable? Thank you
Posted Wed, 28 Jun 2023 08:21:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Suls
The £3000 annual limit is for gifts that do not need to be included for Inheritance tax purposes.
As you will exceed this, any gifts made need to be included as part of the estate income if the person dies within 7 years.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.