Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 05 Aug 2024 06:00:33 GMT by csy1989
I was made redundant in Sep 23 and got my last payslip from my previous UK employer in Jan 24. I started a job abroad in Feb 24 and am not earning any UK income (I am not a UK tax resident anymore). Recently, I checked my PAYE tax code and saw that because I no longer have a UK employer, my income estimate for 23/24 had simply been applied to 24/25, meaning I currently have a 0T code despite having earned no UK-based income this year. I can’t edit to change my income estimate to £0. I called HMRC and was told I’d have to update my employer details for my new employer to provide an income estimate for 24/25, but a) my overseas employer is not set-up with PAYE and b) my 24/25 income is not UK based anyway. I want to change my tax code because later this tax year I will receive £9k of deferred comp from my previous UK employer, and I don’t want them to apply a 0T tax code. Please can someone advise how to change my tax code?
Posted Thu, 29 Aug 2024 14:23:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi,
You cannot update your tax code unless you have a live sure of uk income, we also cannot issue a new tax code untill we have a notification of a live source of UK income on our systems. Any current code showing on your PTA would not be known to any new source until we advise them as such.
As you will be receiving a lump sum payment from your previous employer quite possibly they may operate the standard tax code against it, but also they may operate a emeregency code be it 1257L Wk1 or BR if not informed by ourselves, but you would need to speak with that employer regarding this.
As such we cannot issue a new code to them without notification of it being a live source.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.