Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 21 Dec 2023 10:37:59 GMT by Jimssen
I'm trying to calculate my Adjusted Net Income for tax free childcare purposes. I'm looking at the guidance here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/adjusted-net-income I am a civil servant and pay contributions to Alpha, the civil service defined benefit pension scheme, and the Additional Contributions Scheme. These are taken from my pay before income tax is deducted. Do I deduct all these contributions from my total income in Stage 1, so my 'net income' would be my income minus all my pension contributions? I have also paid some contributions under the Cycle to Work Scheme, which were also taken from my pay before income tax was deducted. As these were also subject to tax relief, should I take these contributions off my 'net income' at stage 1? I also have income from UK property. The guidance says 'some rental income' should be included. What figure should I include in my net income for the money from rental property? I assume the basic calculation income less allowable expenses. But how does the tax relief for residential property finance costs ( https://www.gov.uk/guidance/changes-to-tax-relief-for-residential-landlords-how-its-worked-out-including-case-studies ) feed into my adjusted net income? Should I take finance costs off my income, and if so then in what stage of the adjusted net income calculation? Thank you for your advice!
Posted Thu, 11 Jan 2024 08:11:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Jimssen,
If the pension contributions are deducted from your salary before the tax is calculated then you would not deduct again, you would only deduct if from your net salary.
Again as cycle to work is already deducted before tax then not deducted again.
The net property income would be added for adjusted net income details.
The property finance costs are not taken into account for this as this just reduces the tax bill and not your taxable income.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.