Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 16 May 2023 13:11:03 GMT by
I have just started a new position with a new Company. My start date was 15th May and I sent my P45 to my new employer. The payroll department said that I had missed the payroll cut off date and that I must now send my P45 to the HMRC. See comments below:- Payroll Response Payroll has already been run. Once we have submitted a RTI to hmrc then they wont get any further figures till the following month so that is why i have suggested you contact HMRC so that they have your figures and they can make sure you are on the correct tax code. If you wait for us to send the RTI in June and you are due a tax code change this wont come to us until at least July. In View of the above can you confirm and advise where I need to send my P45 to. Thanks [Name and mobile number deleted by Admin]
Posted Tue, 23 May 2023 13:09:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

HMRC should receive the P45 information electronically from your previous employer. In order to update your tax code, you will need to contact us after you have received your first pay to allow us to amend the code.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 24 Jul 2023 14:34:08 GMT by
I also have a problem with P45. I left my last job on 1st May 2023 and started my new job on around 20 May 2023. My previous employer did not issue me a P45 and neither informed HMRC that I left the job. I now ended up paying too much tax for the past 6 months. I have called HMRC and they told me they had no record of me leaving my previous job and that I must provide them with a P45. So I have now requested the P45 which I have with me. I have called HMRC after being in the queue for more than an 1 hour and they said my employer should deal with it. My employer told me they cant and I must send the P45 to HMRC directly. Can you please let me know where do I send this? I only work part time and I am a mother and on a salary of £600 a month I been paying almost £200 of tax every month. I need this money back please.
Posted Mon, 31 Jul 2023 13:43:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

If you have the P45, we can take details from your regarding the P45 in writing or by telephone, please contact our Income Tax team again.

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 22 Oct 2023 14:23:15 GMT by
I work for a company and have had an issue with raising a duplicate PAYE ref code which has now been ceased by HMRC. I need to send £0 value P45s but cannot send them electronically. The employers helpline advised that the employees can call the helpline and ask for a manual intervention. One employee was told this is fine and has been done and another was told this is not possible. How else can I send HMRC P45s if I physically cannot send them electronically through my payroll system. I have been on the phone 3/4 times a day for a week and I need some clarification please Thanks
Posted Wed, 25 Oct 2023 11:38:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

If you are using 3rd party software our advice would be to speak to them to double check any amendments that require to be carried out in the payroll software.

It unclear if any P45 has been initiated already and you are trying to amend it? If so it wont allow this as no duplicate can be raised.

Employees can call our Taxes Helpline on 0300 200 3300 to check the position with what we hold.

To obtain more information please contact our Employers Helpline on 0300 200 3200.

Thank you .
Posted Thu, 29 Feb 2024 05:00:12 GMT by Jasmine Sagaseta
Hi, i have been hired but at the same you i left as before it was only for a christmas temp job. i did not receive my P45 and still haven't received tax money back after getting in contact with you a while back. my new pay slip is tomorrow and again, ive been taxed. would you be able to give me a P45?? as i am being taxed by "emergency tax" and im only 17 with one job, and haven't earned my first £12,000.
Posted Mon, 04 Mar 2024 11:23:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

Your previous employer may now have updated your record with the correct pay and tax information, if they have, we should be able to update your code.

Please contact our Income Tax team by webchat or phone using link below and we can then review your employment record, and advise your further.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 03 May 2024 10:00:28 GMT by Ritana Pratas
Hi, I ended my employee contract as I am moving abroad, and I will be working for the same employer but as a freelancer. The end of my employee contract was the last day of March and the payroll people said that I don't "qualify for a P45 as she’s received a P60 for the year 2023/24. This occurs when employees are made leavers after the year end process". Is this correct? Thank you
Posted Mon, 13 May 2024 08:51:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

Practically speaking, that's correct, a P45 is what you give to your new employer to let them know what your final pay and tax was at your last job, so that your new employer can operate the correct tax code. However, if the tax year ends before you begin working for a new employer, there's no need to inform them of what your final pay and tax was with the old employer.
Meanwhile, the P60 you've received will confirm your full PAYE pay and tax for the year, so you won't need the P45 for that either.
Your old employer should still be able to help confirm your final pay ant tax with them, though.
Our Income Tax team can also confirm that by contacting them below.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.