Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2024 12:23:09 GMT by Susan F
I am resident in the UK. I am over 65 years of age. I have a RRSP in Canada that I am transferring to a RRIF. - I believe that once the RRSP is transferred to a RRIF, there will be no tax to pay on the periodic pension payments in Canada as I am a resident of the UK. - How will I be taxed on the periodic pension payments I receive from the Canadian RRIF? - How will I report the receipt of the periodic pension payments to HMRC? - When will I have to report the receipt of the periodic pension payments to HMRC? Will this be when the payments are made into my Canadian bank account? Or will this be when the payments are received by me in the UK? Please can you answer the above questions and provide me with links to the relevant treaties/regulations/guidance. I have been finding it very difficult to obtain clear answers to the above questions. Thank you.
Posted Mon, 09 Sep 2024 11:26:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Susan F,
The guidance at DT4617, advises that 'Where a UK resident makes a lump sum withdrawal from a Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) or a Registered Retirement Income Funds (RRIF), Canada imposes a 25 per cent withholding tax'. DT4617 - Double Taxation Relief Manual: Guidance by country: Canada: Withdrawals from Canadian RRSPs/RRIFs.  No tax credit relief is allowable, which means that the full lumpsum is taxable in both Canada and the UK.  You can, however, claim a foreign tax credit relief of up to 100% of the foreign tax deducted, against your Uk tax liability. 
Please also have a look at DT4605 DT4605 - Double Taxation Relief Manual: Guidance by country: Canada: Notes which explains why no tax relief is due for tax paid in Canada.
Thank you.
Posted Mon, 09 Sep 2024 19:07:45 GMT by Susan F
Thank you Admin 21 for your response. I'm sorry to say that you have not addressed my questions. I am concerned with periodic pension payments received from an RRIF. Please will you address my questions about periodic pension payments. Thank you.
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2024 13:44:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,
The link given on the orignal reply refers to all pensions.
DT4605 - Double Taxation Relief Manual: Guidance by country: Canada: Notes
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.