Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 31 Jan 2024 00:39:27 GMT by
Hi, I have a SIPP into which my employer pays contributions after tax. For the tax year 2022-2023, I contributed £4400 net of tax to the pension, but only £900 was added (as per my statement) as the government contribution (tax relief?). What does this mean for my tax return? I filled it in as per the instructions according to the details in my statement, but I believe the incorrect contribution may be skewing the figures (since it's only the gross number that I've given, which has a higher proportion of my contributions than assumed)
Posted Tue, 06 Feb 2024 14:35:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

You would need to check that the £4400 is your contributions only, as employer contribtions do not attract further relief.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 06 Feb 2024 15:09:20 GMT by
Hi, thanks for the reply. I can confirm that the contributions to which I refer to were my own contributions only. I enquired with the pension provider and they informed me that the government contributions, while they were added to my pension during the following tax year, the relief was from to my own contributions falling in the 22-23 tax year. I am confused as to whether the grossed-up contributions on the SA return should include the relief (despite my pension provider having applied it late) or whether it should exactly reflect the amount paid into the pension during the tax year in question.
Posted Thu, 08 Feb 2024 11:01:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi dannyy,
Please refer to guidance at:-  PTM041000 - Contributions: essential principles Deemed date of contributions
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.