Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 03 Sep 2024 20:45:02 GMT by reimondo
"If you receive notional distributions which are subject to Income Tax, you’re allowed the amount of these distributions as additional expenditure on your accumulation units." The above is an excerpt from HS284 for accumulation funds... May I clarify with HMRC whether my understanding below is correct? 1) For notional distributions from an offshore accumulating ETF, they are subject to Income Tax as dividends and to be parked under "Dividends from foreign companies" in SA106. They are not parked as "Interest and other income from overseas savings" in SA106. 2) After putting the notional distributions as Dividend Income in SA106, I am entitled to increase my total cost for the accumulating ETF. As a result, the capital gain tax incurred when I sell the ETF in the future will be reduced. Thank you.
Posted Thu, 12 Sep 2024 10:29:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi,
1. The tax and capital gains liabilities of ETF's are based on their asset class.  
Bonds are taxed as interest, Equities as dividends and commodities soley as capital gains tax.  All 3 are subject to capital gains tax.      
2 If you meet the conditions mentioned at s6 then yes.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.