Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 02 Mar 2024 22:29:22 GMT by Hobbin24
I plan to come back to the UK in the same tax year that I left the UK (I left end of April 2023 and intend to return end of March 2024). I have determined that I am a non-resident (for the entire tax year 2023-24) according to the RDR - SRT notes as I do not meet any of the automatic UK tests or the sufficient ties test. However, I am confused regarding the following statement under Income Tax pages on GOV.UK: “Tax if you return to the UK - You stayed UK resident if you were abroad less than a full tax year (6 April to 5 April the following year)”. Please clarify or explain this statement. Also, please confirm that only the RDR3 - SRT is valid and authoritative in determining tax residence.
Posted Sat, 06 Apr 2024 20:33:38 GMT by Hobbin24
Dear HMRC Admin team, I have yet to receive a reply to my question above, which I posted almost a month ago. Could you please update me on when to expect an answer? Thank you.
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2024 14:43:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi 

You will be basing your residence on the RDR3 and would therefore need to meet one of the conditions of the overseas tests in order not to be UK resident.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.