Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2024 20:47:42 GMT by The- Mandarins
Could you please advise on how payment works to recover additional rate tax from pension contributions. If I recover basic rate tax on personal pension I pay the net amount into my pension and my provider recovers 20% from HMRC and adds to the pension account. If I want to claim additional rate tax as well do I pay in the net amount + additional tax amount then provider automatically recovers the basic rate, and I claim back a refund from HMRC as cash (ie not in my pension)? example: 1. I want to contribute £60k gross (assuming I have sufficient income and have not made other contributions in year) 2. I pay in £48k (80%) of gross, 3. My pension company auto claims £12k (20%=basic rate) and adds to the pension. 4. I make a claim through Self assessment or by contacting HMRC to reclaim £15k (25%= higher and additional rate) 5. HMRC sends payment to me as payment/chq refund which I treat as cash outside the pension. Could you please confirm that is right, so I can make the right net contribution into the pension. thank you.
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2024 07:44:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi The- Mandarins,
Your payment in to your pension scheme is grossed up and declared in your tax return.
The claim increases your tax at 20% and reduced your tax at 40%, thus giving you a further credit of 20%.
The maximum you can pay into your pension scheme and claim tax relief in 23/24 is the lower of your annual income or £60000.
Any unused threshold from the previous 3 tax years can be added to your threshold, to increase the amount you can pay into your pension scheme and claim tax relief.
Any pension payment above the threshold does not qualify for tax relief and should be declared in a Self Assessment tax return.
Any overpaid tax calculated as a result of the claim for pension relief is paid to the claimant by cheque or into their bank account where bank account details are provided.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.