Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2024 09:26:13 GMT by Haximus
Hello, I've recently started to do some freelance work (alongside my full time job). I started it last November and since then a lot of the tax related procedures slipped my mind. I realised that I may have missed a deadline in Jan and so as a result I went online and registered and also applied for my UTR number (which I recently received in the post) and figured I should do my self assessment before I miss any more deadlines (I'm fully expecting to pay a penalty on the one I missed in January). However whenever I log in to my self assessment page it keeps telling me I have nothing to pay. I took the quiz to find out if I needed to do a self assessment and it keeps asking if I earned over a £1000 from April 2022/23. Of course the answer was no because I only started freelance in November 2023. So I'm confused now. Why isn't it asking me about anything after April 2023/24? Do I need to complete a self assessment? If so then how do I go about doing it as the website seems very determined on keeping me from submitted one. I don't want to accumalted any further penalties and I realise the longer I leave this the more that sum will increase.
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2024 09:18:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Haximus,
After the tax year 23/24 ends on the 5th of April 2024, the quiz (checklist) you've taken on Gov.uk will reset to query whether you need to complete a return for 23/24.
Complete the checklist then, and it should register you for Self Assessment.
Alternatively, contact us by webchat or phone here:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
So we can register you.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.