Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 20 Feb 2024 14:45:38 GMT by
Dear sir or madam I am just trying to work out what the maximum is that I can contribute to my SIPP this financial year and have a couple of questions. This is the first year I have contributed to a SIPP and I intend to contribute 100% of my salary which will be less than this years maximum allowance. • In addition to my salary from working I receive a small defined benefit pension from a previous employer. It is taxable as shown from my HMRC Personal Tax Account and the fact that it is included in the calculation when HMRC works out my tax code for the year. My first question is, do I add this pension to my gross salary when working out my maximum SIPP contribution? • Also, I pay into a company pension scheme with my current employer. My contribution is made as ‘Salary Sacrifice’ before tax and my employers’ contribution is added to my contribution after tax and shown as a ‘pension this week’ amount and a YTD amount. My two questions in regards to this are: • Do is do I need to make any deduction from my gross salary for my / my employers pension contributions when calculating my maximum SIPP contribution? • Or do I simply use the amount shown either on my wage slip as YTD taxable income or in my HMRC Personal Tax Account? I hope that this is clear and I would be grateful for any help and advice you can offer. Thank you for your help Kind regards 

Name removed admin .
Posted Wed, 21 Feb 2024 15:17:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi

It would be your gross salary figure. You would not deduct the employers contributions, it would be the figure on your personal tax account. 

Thanks
Posted Wed, 06 Mar 2024 16:36:17 GMT by Simon P
Thank you for your reply and clarification. Kind regards Simon

You must be signed in to post in this forum.