Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 27 Feb 2024 10:35:56 GMT by halogenglow2
Hi If expenses are recorded on a tax code during a tax year, should they also be reported during the self assessment? I am thinking WFH and medical benefits, which are on my tax code, but I also record them in my SA. Is that double accounting, or does HMRC work it out? Secondly, i accidentally over stated a gift aid payment approx 5 years ago, approx £200, and have emailed the gift aid charities address at HMRC and not heard anything back. Too late for an amendment. What do i do? On the flipside, i've rarely claimed gift aid in the past, so maybe it balances out, not sure. PS, this website is really buggy. Trying to register and submit messages, get lots of messages about being blocked. Terrible, but i do appreciate what HMRC are trying to do at least. Hoping this one goes through. Thanks
Posted Thu, 29 Feb 2024 09:04:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

If you have expenses in your tax code then yes, you would also declare this on your Self Assessment tax return to ensure the correct tax is calculated.

If this was 5 years ago, then the time limit for you to change your tax return has passed. To make the changes you will need to write to us at:

Self Assessment,
HM Revenue and Customs,
BX9 1AS,
United Kingdom.

You will need to tell us, the tax return you want to amend, details of the change and if you have already appealed the calculation. Please send a statement confirming 'the particulars given in the claim are correct and complete to the best of your knowledge and belief.'

Write your National Insurance number or Unique Taxpayer Reference at the top of your letter. You must sign the claim, an agent cannot sign on your behalf.

Than you.
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2024 22:56:31 GMT by halogenglow2
Thanks. Is there an email address I can write to, rather than snail mail? Thanks
Posted Fri, 05 Apr 2024 06:15:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi halogenglow2
While we don't have a contact email address at present, you can view the methods available to contact each of our departments here:
Contact HMRC
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.